[aida] Charting project started

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Nov 11 22:15:30 CET 2008

nico wrote:
>> Let we ask Nico for more details of the project and activities so far...

> For this project I did some research about opensource chart JS
> libraries. I finally choose ProtoChart.
>
> I'm just starting to integrate it into Aida. My first goal is to be able
> to use the entire API in Smalltalk, after that I'll see how I can
> improve it, or even extend the library if it's needed.

It would be desirable to try to make that API as general as possible,
with future changing of chart JS library in mind. Now you investigated
other libraries, therefore you know similarities. Name methods so that
they will be more or less the same if you change the library behind. Or
at least try to name them that way.

Reason to be careful is that we could some day change underlying
Prototype library with some other. It would be just nice if such change
won't affect existing Aida apps a lot.

> As soon as I will have something working, I will open a SqueasSource (or
> SPM?) project to share the code.

I see SPM (Squeak Project Manager) to be meant for a bit larger projects
like Aida or Scribo, or more standalone ones like Swazoo. For smaller
projects like this one I would therefore rather use Aida SPM. Which
doesn't exist yet, maybe a time to create it on http://aida.aidaweb.si?

Should we also think about extending SPM to better support such subprojects?