[aida] Web designers and Aida

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Jul 14 19:42:57 CEST 2008

Dear Aiders,

I'm following an interesting debate here:
http://www.nabble.com/thoughts-on-Seaside-3.0-td18448440.html

This post is really interesting to read, because author argues that we
Smalltalkers have an ignorance of the design side of web development.

Namely, web designers have a different way of working, which goes well
with templating, less well with component based development as we are
doing. I actually agree with him here, I also have that kind of
experience with web developers. Also, CSS separation of content and
design is more the theory than established practice for them. Last
experience with http://www.nets.si clearly shows that.

Aida actually had templating, but we switched off it. Now the templating
is kind of supported by embedding the html code directly into methods.
This can maybe be even better than traditional templating in HTML files
because of version control, but on the other hand it is not handy for
web designers.

Any thoughts about that subject? What is your experience with web designers?