[aida] Using WebComponent for input objects

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 09:22:17 CEST 2008

Hello...

I'm trying to get back to finishing WebRadioButtonGroup, and thought it
would be best to create a WebComponent.  However, I can't seem to get any
values back into my objects when I use it.  I am using Aida5.6-np58.

For example, I have a simple

WebComponent subclass: #WebInputComponent
instanceVariableNames: 'object aspect'
classVariableNames: ''
poolDictionaries: ''
category: 'Aida-Components'

with accessors for object and aspect so I can pass them on to the underlying
WebFormElement.

Then, as an example, try creating

WebInputComponent subclass: #WebTextComponent
instanceVariableNames: ''
classVariableNames: ''
poolDictionaries: ''
category: 'Aida-Components'

with

WebTextComponent>>#build
|e|
e := WebElement new.
e addInputFieldAspect: self aspect for: self object size: 50.
self add: e

and if you #add this component to an application, enter some text,  press a
submit button, and inspect the "bound" object, it remains nil.

Any advice on using WebComponent(s) for this purpose?  I can make everything
work fine by simply creating WebElement(s) instead of WebComponent(s), but
then you lose the built-in #build functionality and have to resort to
special constructors, etc...  It would be much more elegant to understand
why WebComponents are not posting their changes to the model the way I am
using them!

Also, what would be the best way to publish an individual component to be
added to Aida by an end user?  Should it just go into a package that places
the component in the Aida-Components category, or should it be a new
category like Aida-Third Party Components to distinguish them from built-in
components?

Thanks,

Rob