[aida] Creating a new site and WebStyle's

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 00:59:00 CET 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 5:54 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I'm it late of answers, sorry, but a new Aida website was born in the
> meantime .. :)

I saw your post...congratulations! I am surprised to see that you respond to
most of the posts here.  When do you find the time?

Yes, examples with a good description, that's what is missing. If you
> have some ideas and a will to make them, you are very welcome. And
> documentation of course. We need to improve tutorial first and foremost.
>
> What is your impression, what is missing most urgently?

As a novice, I think most Smalltalk projects lack good introductory material
because experienced Smalltalkers are so capable of figuring that stuff out
by reading the code.  Personally, I think that is one of the major barriers
for those not fortunate enough to learn from a mentor, and if you look at
all the code samples you can snag in any other programming language it makes
you wonder why that is not happening with Smalltalk.

So...the short answer is more actual code samples, particularly around the
"challenging" parts.  I'll have to think about this some more, but I am
FINALLY learning enough Smalltalk to be able to contribute something, I
think, from a "novice perspective."

I know that isn't a full answer to the question, but I did want you to know
I was thinking about it!

> Well put! MVC extended to M(CD)C :) Actually for CMS can really become
> MCD as you said...

Don't you think for most any Aida application (not just CMS) you could lay
out your design requirements from a CSS standpoint enough to be able to
properly tag the content of your application in a way that, for the most
part, would make changes to the design have minimal impact on your code?  I
guess I kind of thought that was your intent and found that very exciting
because I am notoriously uninterested in "making it pretty" and was hoping I
could enlist the help of those who enjoy that sort of thing!

Cheers

Rob

P.S.  I have to point out that the fact that you are responding to me in
quite understandable English from another country and I can not do the same
is quite...humbling.