[aida] [Scribo] Backup feature

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Sat Jan 19 09:12:58 CET 2008

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:31:36 +0100
Nicolas Petton <petton.nicolas at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a backup feature in Scibo (class Repository). But the VW code
> uses UnixProcess and BOSS. As in Aida, I thing we could use
> FileStream>>fileOutClass:andObject: instead of BOSS. UnixProcess is used
> to make a tar file. But in Squeak we need OSProcess, a separate package.

Assuming I used this in a production environment, I'd probably
set up something like logrotate to archive several versions of
backups. So all I'd require from the base system is a simple fileout
of whatever is necessary to restore operation quickly.

There is really no need to introduce OS dependencies because of a
minor feature like compressing a saved file. Every system you'd run
Scribo on has a scheduling tool and schedulable compression facilities.

Then again, I can get 500 GB SATA hard disks for 100 €, so the point
becomes even less relevant.

s.