[aida] International Urls (was URL resolution patch)
janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Jan 14 13:38:30 CET 2008
It is interesting for me that Urls with non-ASCII letters just work,
without any special treatment. Isn't there some special standard for
Here it is: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3490
It seems that IDNA is for domain names only, while Urls are free to be
encoded UTF8? Masashi, if you have time, would you look at this question
a bit further?
Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:
> Hi Janko,
> Thanks for looking into my patch.
> I've tested the patch in Japanese included URLs, and it worked fine in
> both IE and Firefox.
> I will try your fix in Japanese URLs and do more tests.
> 2008/1/14, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek na eranova.si>:
>> Hi Masashi,
>> Nice to hear that Japanese works well on Aida! And yes, if we like
>> mention that Aida has nice looking Urls, they must be nice in all
>> languages! I admit that here we are a bit lazy, in my country for
>> instance we just downgrade our writings to ASCII. Due to inertia
>> probably, because no long ago that was the only possibility.
>> Your patch is a right way to go, but maybe I'd put it in URLResolver
>> instead. I'll try this by myself and test with our characters.
>> Few words about encodings in Aida: on the web Aida uses UTF-8 encoding
>> only while internally all strings must be Unicode. That means in Squeak
>> Byte/WideStrings, on VW Byte/TwoByte/FourByteStrings. Keep in mind that
>> we never preserves strings in UTF-8 internally.
>> But with your patch you actually made Aida with Japanese Urls, did you
>> try that already?
>> Best regards
>> Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:
>>> Hello Janko and all,
>>> I've started playing around with AIDA/Web. I was quite impressed that
>>> it can handle m17n string quite well! I was able to confirm Japanese string
>>> is displayed and submitted without any changes to AIDA.
>>> However, I found a little problem in multibyte URL resolution.
>>> In HTTPRequest>>uriString, it returns request uri "as is", so it is
>>> not encoded as Smalltalk internal m17n string. I think it is OK in Swazoo
>>> But AIDASite>>objectTo:forSession: uses the raw string for resolving object,
>>> It fails because urlResolver's dictionary's keys are Smalltalk string.
>>> I think it should be converted as Smalltalk internal m17n string.
>>> Please see the attached file.
>>> I 've also found some methods that should be fixed.
>>> (Maybe you have noticed them, but just FYI).
>>> AIDASite class>>default. (there are some senders. But method is not
>>> AIDASite backupToFile. (In Squeak, there is no BOSS)
>>> AIDASite restoreSiteNamed: (In Squeak, there is no BOSS)
>>> Thanks again for releasing this great web app server.
>>> [:masashi | ^umezawa]
Smalltalk Web Application Server
More information about the Aida