[aida] AIDA URL resolution patch

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Jan 14 11:37:12 CET 2008

Hi Masashi,

Nice to hear that Japanese works well on Aida! And yes, if we like
mention that Aida has nice looking Urls, they must be nice in all
languages! I admit that here we are a bit lazy, in my country for
instance we just downgrade our writings to ASCII. Due to inertia
probably, because no long ago that was the only possibility.

Your patch is a right way to go, but maybe I'd put it in URLResolver
instead. I'll try this by myself and test with our characters.

Few words about encodings in Aida: on the web Aida uses UTF-8 encoding
only while internally all strings must be Unicode. That means in Squeak
Byte/WideStrings, on VW Byte/TwoByte/FourByteStrings. Keep in mind that
we never preserves strings in UTF-8 internally.

But with your patch you actually made Aida with Japanese Urls, did you
try that already?

Best regards
JAnko