[aida] Repositories (was AIDA/Web 5.6 released)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Jan 13 13:49:25 CET 2008

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I think it would be great if there were a public repository for both
> Squeak (Monticello) and VW (Store) users. Janko and if there are any
> other users of both can help keep them in sync. This way, bug fixes and
> feature enhancements can come from users of either dialect.

For VW it seems that Public Store would be good enough, even that all VW
users usually use its own Stores and replicate from time to time to
public one. I also have my own one. Problem is that I can't simply open
publicly my own Store because I have commercial code there too and
access rights are not simple to separate public from private Store
access. So, on VW I'll try to publish/replicate more often.

Store also have more or less good separation of stable/dev versions with
so called blessings. Forking and merging tools are also good, so that
developing in separate branches and then merging together is relatively
simple.

For Squeak Nicolas volunteered to open his Monticello repository at
http://mc.bioskop.fr. Thanks Nicolas for that! I don't grasp MC enough
to see how it can be used for group development as Store yet. But
because Gemstoners are using now MC too, I need to look at it again.

I propose to use his one for development versions while publish to
public SqueakSource only beta and released versions.

And another Smalltalk is joining Aida club: Gemstone:
http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss. More about their GLASS later.

> I also think it might be a good idea to have a page with coding
> standards expected of code submitted for inclusion.
> http://www.seaside.st/community/contribute
> http://www.seaside.st/community/conventions

Good idea indeed. I'll try to open those pages then others are welcome
to provide content too. Coding conventions, hmmm...

Best regards
JAnko