[aida] Monitoring and debugging remotely (was Squeak stability)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Jan 8 22:14:14 CET 2008

Hi Jimmie,

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

>> Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
>> (aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
>> works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
>> even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.
>>
>> AidaBrowser is running now headless, with VNC viewer open and I'll see
>> if it will survive the night. So far it crashed every night!

> The Seaside people do not keep RFB running all the time. They only start
> it up as necessary. They have a web interface to start it up. At least
> that is my understanding.

They usually run many images behind load balancer and Apache while on
Aida only one image will be enough in must cases, serving many
applications on many websites at once and directly, without Apache. Main
reason is that Aida is not resource hungry and that Swazoo is capable
enough to serve on the web directly.

Also, on Swazoo/Aida exceptions open windows which stay open until you
come around and debug them. Usually with all stack preserved. That's
very handy for debugging rare exceptions and almost mandatory in cases
when many sites with many applications run in one image. So, VNC access
to image which stays open for a long time is a preferable way of
monitoring and supporting your Aida websites. I for instance have a VNC
open all the time to my collocated server where only one VW image is
serving all my customers who host there.

To conclude, I think we can afford to run a RFB/VNC server all the time
in image and have therefore possibility to attach in any timeor even
stay a vnc client open all the time. I will definitively have later for
my images, because I like to see what is happening there!

Thanks for your information!

Janko