[aida] convertToSloveneChars. Bug?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Feb 18 12:24:16 CET 2008

Ni hao Jim,

Jim Guo wrote:

> Programming in Chinese. VWNC7.5+AIDA5.6.
> When I:
>
>     self pageFrameWith: e title: self observee class
>
> AIDA complains. The class print string can't convertToSloveneChars.
> I searched. About 7 sends of  convertToSloveneChars. Bug?

Method #convertToSloveneChars is implemented as extension of String (see
Aida-Extensions) and therefore it must work. See if the method is there
and that it works.

To explain that method a bit: because Aida originally and still runs
Slovenian sites, there are some convenient methods for support of my
language and all Aida supported Smalltalk dialects. As you know there is
still not a dialect which fully supports Unicode from keyboard and on
the screen, Slovenian included, so I just made my own support for that.

For my language it is simple, we have only 3 non-ASCII letters: č š and
ž. I put text elsewhere in code simply as c^ s^ z^, then above mentioned
method convert this in to a real Unicode string.

I propose that this and similar methods stay in Aida, until Smalltalks
will finally support Unicode. If you agree of course!

Best regards
JAnko