[aida] isNil ifTrue: idiom

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Feb 11 13:11:31 CET 2008

Dear all,

Let me first apologize for such an unresponsiveness and a backlog of
your  posts to be answered. I have all of them blue tagged on my
Thunderbird, so they will be answered, sooner or later. Thanks again for
your understanding!

isNil ifTrue: instead if ifNil: is used mostly from two reasons:
historical and portability.

Historical: back in 1996 there was no ifNil: on VW. This came later,
first as extensions by some packages and just in recent years as part of
core image.

Portability: because of ifNil: is probably still not part of all
Smalltalks it is just better to avoid it in core Aida.

But it is also true that I'm used of old method and that I didn't find
yet a compelling reason to change that habit :)