[aida] Swazoo vs. Apache benchmarks

Nicholas Moore nicholas.moore at tsr-i.com
Sun Feb 10 19:24:46 CET 2008

Janko,

Did you compare Swazoo and Apache only? I would be interested in the
comparison between Swazoo (pure) and Swazoo sitting behind Apache (which
is what I have) because that is my actual choice. My guess is that pure
Swazoo might be faster! (for me).

My present configuration is okay (Apache serving vhosts in Swazoo (VW
image) but I would prefer to have just one application (Smalltalk) to
pay attention to, for all kinds of reasons to do with competence,
complexity and elegance.

Nicholas

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dear Web Smalltalkers,
>
> In light of our last debate about Swazoo in comparison to Apache and out
> of curiosity I did some benchmarks of them to clarify our position on
> the web serving scene. Here are the preliminary results in a table:
>
> 	http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html
>
> As you see Swazoo is not bad at all, only 4x slower from Apache on small
> files on VW! On Squeak it is 18x slower. For a 100KB file VW it is 12x
> slower while Squeak is 40x.
>
> I did benchmarking on Gemstone too but those results are currently quite
> disappointing. Probably because Hyper is not so optimized as the new
> Swazoo 2 HTTP server, so that porting a new Swazoo there would help too.
>
> I think we can conclude that Swazoo (at least on VW for now) is actually
> able to serve quite demanding web sites, but as we already said, Swazoo
> is not there to compete with Apache but to be a simple starting step,
> which can later evolve if needed to the most demanding serving on Apache.
>
> Best regards

*Nicholas J Moore*
Limoges