[aida] Swazoo as reverse proxy?

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Fri Feb 8 20:15:10 CET 2008

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hello Web Smalltalkers,
>
> I'm thinking for a while to add a reverse proxy support to Swazoo so
> that we won't need Apache anymore, at least for all but the very large
> websites. And such "all but" sites are probably 99%, and that means that
> Swazoo is able to serve those 99% of our sites, but you could safely
> switch to Apache later when needed.
>
> Another advantage is that you are running everything in Smalltalk and
> have therefore a control down to the last bit sent to the TCP socket.
> Not to mention that you don't need to learn some other setup like
> Apache, which is not the easiest thing to learn.
>
> Reverse proxying will also allow load balancing of many images behind
> the Swazoo, or run many different sites, each on its own image, etc.
>
> So, what do you think? Is it a good idea, do you see any obstacles?

Hello Janko,

Personally, I think it is a great idea.

I believe that Swazoo/AIDA/Web/Scribo and the developing platform coming
from here providing the ability to have an all Smalltalk Web development
and deployment stack is a tremendous thing.

You look at some stacks out there, Rails, Django, etc. you have so many
different tools to learn. And if your goal is to optimize your stack,
even more tools. Squid, Varnish, Memcache, ... on and on it goes.

With Smalltalk we have the opportunity to provide a nicely performant,
simple and well capable web stack. All in one language. Often, all in
one image. Very nice.