[aida] How to force an Application to refresh its view

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Wed Feb 6 23:02:05 CET 2008

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:48:44 -0500
"Rob Rothwell" <r.j.rothwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> In other words the browser only refreshes itself when it wants to!

... unless you specify a refresh meta tag, for example, which does for
the whole page what I assume updateEverySeconds: does for a single
element.

> If you don't use special "server push" technology, another way of
> > achieving a similar effect would be to periodically query the
> > application for status updates ... AJAX is used for stuff like this.
>

> So...would you just recommend using one of the AJAX methods like
> "updateEverySeconds:" to poll for changes?  I was actually trying to write a
> simple little department "chat" program, and the AJAX way works, but
> checking the server every few seconds just seemed like a bit much.

wellllllll... google has a "special" search dialog somewhere (probably
in "beta" :-) which polls the server after every keystroke recorded by
the input box. If you type slow enough, you can watch suggestions for
search terms pop up.

> Can I create a new type of component that simply ask the server for an
> update "on demand" rather then periodically?  I am getting a message and all
> the information I need is in my domain model...

Define "on demand". Who is the "I" getting the message. I assume that
the "I" owning "my domain model" is the application server.

> Maybe what I'm asking for is already part of the AIDA AJAX elements and I
> just don't know how to use it...

I'll defer to people actually knowing AIDA on this one :-)

s.