[aida] How to force an Application to refresh its view

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:48:44 CET 2008

Stefan,

Thanks for the information...

On Feb 6, 2008 4:29 PM, Stefan Schmiedl <s at xss.de> wrote:

> And that is the source and solution of your problem: You want to "push",
> while web browsers usually only "pull". The browser sends a request to
> the server, which in turn causes the server to render the contents
> (produce html) of the requested page. This is transferred to the
> browser, which in turn renders the html into a meaningful GUI.

In other words the browser only refreshes itself when it wants to!

If you don't use special "server push" technology, another way of
> achieving a similar effect would be to periodically query the
> application for status updates ... AJAX is used for stuff like this.

So...would you just recommend using one of the AJAX methods like
"updateEverySeconds:" to poll for changes?  I was actually trying to write a
simple little department "chat" program, and the AJAX way works, but
checking the server every few seconds just seemed like a bit much.

Can I create a new type of component that simply ask the server for an
update "on demand" rather then periodically?  I am getting a message and all
the information I need is in my domain model...

Maybe what I'm asking for is already part of the AIDA AJAX elements and I
just don't know how to use it...

Thanks again,

Rob