[aida] Valid html and CSS

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Mon Feb 4 14:32:59 CET 2008

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:18:22 +0100
Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> I think Aida is close to have a valid HTML 4.01 code and I think that's
> enough. We don't need XHTML conformance, which seems to be dead end
> anyway because a HTML5 is near release already. So what we can do is to
> add a doctype in header and change some things to be HTML 4.01 conformant.

That's pretty important, IMO. Browsers tend to render things differently
depending on being in standard compliant mode or quirks mode. If HTML
generated by Aida is "quirky be design" you're in for fun times
debugging style sheets.

Besides, I would not hold my breath for widespread and reliable
(as in mozilla, safari, ie treating it the same) support for HTML5.

On a side note: A well-formed XML document is easier to parse on the
client side, too. You'll never know, when third party tools will be
used to scrape Aida-generated content.

> > I think it's VERY important that Aida produce a valid html, we
> > absolutely need to work on that.
> >
> > It's the same with CSS.
>
> It is important from a "marketing" perspective while I doubt in
> importance from pure technical standpoint. I read recently some
> benchmarks of valid vs. non valid HTML vs. XHTML pages and nowadays
> browsers can actually handle non-valid HTML as good as valid one.

But now you're relying on everybody fixing the markup bugs that
should be fixed by the single producer. And the assumptions on what
you meant might actually and unexpectedly be wrong. Somewhere in the
RFC's is a "law" stating that you should be ready to accept the worst
case, but produce only standards conformant data. Go with that.

s.