[aida] Valid html and CSS

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Feb 4 11:18:22 CET 2008

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> I tried to validate html and css of aidademo on W3C website and...
> surprise!
>
> It's not valid at all! There isn't even a doctype! (Janko, what should
> it be?)

I think Aida is close to have a valid HTML 4.01 code and I think that's
enough. We don't need XHTML conformance, which seems to be dead end
anyway because a HTML5 is near release already. So what we can do is to
add a doctype in header and change some things to be HTML 4.01 conformant.

> I think it's VERY important that Aida produce a valid html, we
> absolutely need to work on that.
>
> It's the same with CSS.

It is important from a "marketing" perspective while I doubt in
importance from pure technical standpoint. I read recently some
benchmarks of valid vs. non valid HTML vs. XHTML pages and nowadays
browsers can actually handle non-valid HTML as good as valid one.

But we need to be a good example to others of following web spirit (as
we successfully follow it on the Url/REST part of the story), so yes,
let we achieve HTML conformity. It is a small effort needed anyway.