[aida] Transient objects URI

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Dec 17 15:04:52 CET 2008

Hi Esteban,

Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> How do you manage the url of transient objects?
>
> It is... not all the objects have a persistent RESTful URI.

For transient objects you need manually remove them from URL resolver
after you don't need them anymore:

    (AIDASite named: 'aidademo) urlResolver removeObject: yourObject

It would be nice if the URL resolver would be kind of WeakDictionary to
remove such an object automatically, but many Smalltalks are weak here,
so I gave up that idea quite early.

But, if there is an idea how to solve that better, we can improve URL
resolving for transient objects better ...

Also, you can extend the URLResolver to suit your needs, for instance to
calculate from URL a key for reaching the object, which is handy for
objects in relational databases.