[aida] AIDA/Web on Smalltalk/X

Jan Vrany vranyj1 at fel.cvut.cz
Wed Dec 10 11:56:57 CET 2008

Hi Janko,

Jaroslav told me that there is only one know issue that
deals with caching, but this this not affects the
functionality and he claims that this could be easily fixed.
So no serious problem till now.

However, soon we will run in serious problems with syncing
our port with your's upstream. Although SPort solves a lot,
there are still many methods that had to be fixed manually,
for instance in Smalltalk/X "Character cr" returns #13 or #10
depending on underlaying operating system, so we had to change
all "Character cr" to stxish "Character return".

The bad thing is, ther we will have to repeat this annoying and
error-prone task every time you relases new version. Of course,
we (me and you) can refactor the code to use some dialect independent
methods or extend a sport in that way, but still there will be two
different independent codebases, that will require some manual
work to synchronize.

Based on Lukas Renggli's statement on ESUG 2009, I started to
port monticello2 on Smalltalk/X (not yet finished :-(.
So, once I will have MC2 working in St/X and once you
switch to MC2, we can share and commit to SAME repository, which
will make all the porting work faster, less time-consuming a much
more effective. SeaSide & GemStone example shows that this is reasonable
way how to develop code for two more smalltalk platforms efficienly.

Does it make sense for you?

Cheers, Jan