[aida] Aida tutorial

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Dec 6 00:12:21 CET 2008

Hello Herbert,

Herbert König wrote:
> Greetings everybody,
>
> this is my first visit here. And I'll appear a bit wordy.

Welcome to the list and the Aida community. I hope you'll have a lot of
fun with us!

> I started AidaWeb (any kind of web programming for that matter) with
> the tutorial. I very much liked the idea of view.. and action..
> methods and ..App classes and everything seemed easy.
>
> I managed to add the "Back to Address Book" link to the addressApp's
> viewMain by linking back:
>
> e addLinkTo: self observee book text: 'Back to Address Book'.
>
> For this I added book to the address so it could reference its book.
> I didn't manage to do this via a button.

Why would you make a back link with button?

> Next I wanted to add a cancel button to the add a new entry view. I'm
> thinking GUI not web here so cancel should go back to the address book
> without adding the new address.
>
> I didn't manage this, though I found out about the naming convention
> in #addButtonText:action:.
>
> I tried
> e cell addButtonText: 'Cancel' action: #actionAddCancel

action: #cancel !

> having an #actionCancel and an #actionAddCancel (just in case)
> implemented like:
>
> actionCancel
>     self redirectToView: #main.

#actionAddCancel !

> I think these should be added to the tutorial (I'm willing to, if
> shown how to edit it) as well as well as being able to change an
> address in the addresses #viewMain (I guess I'll manage).

I agree, good idea. It seems that action naming conventions are not
clear enough. Did you check programming guide too?

> Also edit in line in the main address book (maybe I'll have to ask but
> will try first).

This could be fine for introduction into Ajax, let's say in next chapter
of tutorial. With in-place editing component for instance.

> As my own plans will require users to enter many point coordinates I
> want to display only 10 or 20 addresses on the main address book
> page so the "Add an entry" always stays visible. Most of this is
> easily done in the model so I'll manage. As soon as I get several
> buttons to work I'll also manage the necessary navigation.

This is like adding comments in many blogs? Note also that you can
initially hide such form and show it with click on some url link.

> This should less than double the tutorial and my belief is that the
> tutorial should end with the address book in a more usable state. It
> should definitely not get as lengthy as Stepahn Wessels laser game
> tutorial.

I agree, let we therefore open a second chapter of tutorial with more
advanced features. Ajax specially because it is so easy to do in Aida.

But let we put a Cancel button in existing tutorial. Shall we add back
references from Address to AddressBook here too?

> To sum it up:
> can someone please tell me how to get two buttons on one view working
> and should I add a bit more to the tutorial?

I hope above answers will help!