[aida] Roadmap

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Dec 4 13:57:37 CET 2008

Hi Esteban,

We don't have a roadmap in terms of deadlines, but we have directions
and priorities. You can also look at my ESUG08 presentation[1], but let
me put out some I have in mind right now (including wishes):

Aida/Web:
--------

- more internationalization, specially with translation support, to have
  web apps on more than one language fast and easy.

- tree-like control flow, to close the last gap to the competition :)

- form validation support with callbacks and Ajax visual feedback

- more Ajax, more standalone components

- on the fly installation/unloading of applications and additional
components directly from the admin/configuration web pages. No need to
deal with Smalltalk image directly, which is good for non-programmer
users of Aida web systems.

- Scaffolding, that is initial code generation of your web app before
you start coding manually

- Visual web app building, as extension of scaffolding?

- Magritte support

- Smalltalk Community support with project like SPM, Smalltalk People,
Smalltalk code on the Web, at the end maybe even a Smalltalk portal,
with all that combined? Well, this one is very very long-term goal, but
very needed for the Smalltalk community as a whole!

Aida/Scribo:
-----------

- more end user friendliness, you don't need to be a Smalltalker to use it!

- more plugins, more scriblets

- persistence support, from image, file based, to Gemstone. Magma too?

- preprepared design templates to easy choose and swithc on-the-fly.
Better support for using Wordpress and Joomla templates, preparing some
of them for Scribo.

Did I miss something?

And yes, it is a time to put that on some web page, being on SPM or main
  wesite. Shall we name it Roadmap anyway? Maybe most of people prefer
this name instead of Directions. A Roadmap without deadlines therefore,
or maybe a "floating" Roadmap :)

Janko

[1] http://www.aidaweb.si/articles.html, AIDA/Web 6.0, That's How the
Web Works!