[aida] Web framework or Web Application Server?

nicolas petton petton.nicolas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 04:06:19 CEST 2008

2008/8/19 Nicholas Moore <nicholas.moore at tsr-i.com>

>  From a marketing perspective there is probably some benefit in
> positioning AIDA as a web application server because that offers so much
> more - a complete integrated development and deployment environment,
> facilitating rapid prototyping and testing. Simple web frameworks are
> relatively obsolete!
> :-)

I don't think that web frameworks are obsolete at all, but it's ok, I was
just worried from marketing point of view. I don't personally care how we
call it, Aida is still Aida, the best Smalltalk web applcation
server/framework ;)

It's just that some other web developpers had the same problem the first
time they saw Aida and its website. I had to explain what it was....Ok, some
of them come from RoR community, but still.

Cheers!

Nico

> [...]
> for the context of AIDAweb.
>
> To me, we want people who are:
> Opinionated :)
> They love Smalltalk, or are at least open to learning and loving Smalltalk.
> They love Turtles all the way down.
> The more they can do with the chosen tool, the better.
> The less they have to look elsewhere to solve the problem, the better.
>
> And the nice thing is ...
> That if you want to put Apache in front of AIDAweb, you can.
> That if you want to use PostgreSQL for persistence, you can.
> Nothing stops you. Nothing even slows you down.
> It just isn't the required path of the tool.
> You are fully enabled without such tools or requirements.
> Nothing else is required out of the box.
>
> So what is our vision statement?
> Who are we?
> What do we want to be?
> Who do we enable?
> What do we provide?
> Where do we want to go?
>
> The better we can answer all of these questions the better we can choose
> who to market to and how.
>
> One of the fantastic things to watch about the Plone community is how
> they choose to organize themselves. How they go about deciding a vision
> for the future of Plone. A vision for Plone, its development, its users,
> its community.
>
> I know the AIDAweb community is small. But we don't have to think small.
> Without a vision the people perish. Without a vision, no one can come
> alongside and become one of us. With a vision clearly expressed and
> written down. People can come alongside, take a part of the work and run
> with it. Without such, people are only somewhat walking in the same
> direction. If their works happen to complement the whole and help the
> community, great. If not, oh well. No common vision. No common goals. No
> common achievements.
>
> I am not a strong developer. But hopefully I can be a strong motivator
> and help where I can. But without the vision, I can't say that AIDAweb
> is going the direction I want to go. It currently isn't at a place I
> want to be. But can I help it get to where it wants to go? And do I want
> to go there also?
>
> If I can't answer those questions, then I am better off with Plone even
> if the back end development is a little harder. Because of community, I
> will have much less of it to do. Only those content types which aren't
> available out of the box.
>
> My apologies for such a long email.
>
> I am just trying to exhort this community toward creating and moving
> towards a common, well written vision as to who we are, what we are
> doing, where we are going and why you want to join us in this adventure.
>
> Jimmie
>

> --
>
> *Nicholas J Moore*
>  +33 555 092 140
> +33 682 904 357
> *TSR International
> *Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity

Nicolas Petton

http://nico.bioskop.fr