[aida] Web framework or Web Application Server?

Nicholas Moore nicholas.moore at tsr-i.com
Tue Aug 19 23:12:47 CEST 2008

 From a marketing perspective there is probably some benefit in
positioning AIDA as a web application server because that offers so much
more - a complete integrated development and deployment environment,
facilitating rapid prototyping and testing. Simple web frameworks are
relatively obsolete!
:-)

Nicholas

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Jimmie,
>
> Thank you very much for your thoughts and they are on the right
> direction, at least from my viewpoint. I'll use your questions below for
> my ESUG presentation to show the vision of both Aida and Scribo. Well,
> I'll try to show and let discussing the vision here as well if time will
> permit.
>
> About question from subject, let we therefore stay with Smalltalk Web
> Application Server.  Technically it is much more appropriate as you and
> Nicholas pointed out, while me and Nico had some worries from marketing
> standpoint. Also on Wikipedia we are among Web frameworks, there is even
> not a serious page for web app servers!
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>> nico wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Of course I also understand Jimmie's point. But I still think that it's
>>> a mistake, at least for marketing reasons.
>>>
>> Understood. :)
>>
>> However, there is no clearly defined use of the phrases "Web Framework",
>> "Fullstack", or "Web Application Server". The definition unfortunately
>> varies depending on the tool to which it is being applied. Which is why
>> I believe that on the "About AIDAweb"... page(s) that a good description
>> as to whatever expression we use means.
>>
>> With regards to marketing. Who are we marketing to? What marketing
>> battle do we hope to win?
>>
>> If Seaside v. AIDAweb/Scribo, then I don't think it is a problem. Each
>> are different and distinct with different personalities. And with regard
>> to Framework v. Application Server, Seaside is in the same boat as us.
>>
>> I believe that with regards to marketing we have a lot more to overcome
>> than ambiguities between Framework v. Application Server.
>>
>> Why use Smalltalk?
>>
>> That is the first barrier to entry.
>>
>> Once that is overcome, then we have somebody who can listen and
>> understand the whys behind Seaside or AIDAweb.
>>
>> We will never win with people who come to AIDAweb who are looking to
>> swap in and out there favorite pieces and parts and tools for the job.
>> Its hard enough to talk to the Seaside community and they are one of us.
>> Janko posts on the Seaside list about adding a feature to Swazoo and
>> gets blasted. Why add this feature? We have Apache? (All bow down to
>> Apache)  Ugh!
>>
>> One thing I love about AIDAweb is Janko's vision for a complete
>> Smalltalk stack for web development. Turtles all the way down, as Avi
>> says. Nice!
>>
>> We are getting closer to offering a good and reasonably compelling tool
>> for the developer. I would love to see us get to a better out the box
>> experience for those who aren't programmers (yet) but are very good with
>> computers and software and we can enable them with quality software and
>> a good web UI to get the job done.
>>
>> The app I am currently working on is currently implemented in
> [...]

*Nicholas J Moore*
+33 555 092 140
+33 682 904 357
*TSR International
*Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
www.TSR-i.com