[aida] Web framework or Web Application Server?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Aug 18 15:42:17 CEST 2008

Dear all,

Well, time to decide what to use for Aida. Should it be Web framework or
Web application server? And we need to decide quickly, logo is on the
work, Wikipedia entry also...

Nico's stance:
I think that we should be clear about that : Aida is a web framework,
Swazoo is a web server. Aida is clearly not a web server, and I think
that the sentence "Smalltalk web application server" is very confusing
for newcommers (It was the case for me when I discovered Aida...) : What
is Aida and what is Swazoo?

My stance:
Swazoo is web server while Aida is web framework. But
because Aida comes always with Swazoo, I think we shall name Aida as Web
application server, which is web framework + web server.

But on the other side, RoR and Seaside are declared only as web
frameworks and as we like to be on pair, we also use only "Web
framework" for Aida when appropriate.

Also if you see title of our website on Google, you'll see a long
"AIDA/Web Smalltalk Web Framework and Application Server". That's
because people search sometimes as web framework, sometimes as web
application, sometimes as web application server etc.

Others?

JAnko