[aida] WebStye (was stupid question)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Oct 16 23:28:06 CEST 2007

nicolas petton wrote:

>> Well, this redirection is strange on first sight for every Smalltalker
>> too, but with a bit of explanation you can understand the reason behind:
>>   a support for another separation between content and style - between
>> HTML and CSS. CSS support (and style support in general, like "framing"
>> of page with above mentioned method) is therefore delegated to WebStyle
>> and its subclasses.
>
> So, what is the best way to style a site ? Subclassing WebStyle, and
> surcharging #pageFrameWith:title: and some other methods, or create a
> new class from scratch (since WebStyle directly inherit from Object, and
> this class has a lot of methods I may not want) ?

Subclassing WebStyle and overriding existing methods while reusing
WebStyle ones (like images) is the best way. Just ignore methods you
don't want or in case of css* methods override them with empty ones to
nil them. This is a bit clumsy, I know, I'm working on a solution...

>> Another neat feature is that you can change styles on runtime, simply by
>> changing style in AIDASite.
>>
>> Third reason: that way you can host a same application to many customers
>> at once, with different style for each. That way you can simply
>> customize you app to customer wishes, but still run all of them from the
>> same image.
>>
>> But WebStyle don't hold only CSS, but also images and JS code. Images
>> are stored in methods (so called method images).

> Is there a simple way to upload images into method images ?

Yes, see some method image how it was created, for instance

WebStyle>>arrowOrangeRightGif

	"'imgs/dars-arrow2.gif' asFilename contentsAsMethod"

This code in comment was inspected and result copied in a body of that
method image. This is how it is done on VisualWorks, On Squeak you have
String contentsAsMethod, which you can use similarly.