[aida] WebStye (was stupid question)

nicolas petton petton.nicolas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 23:07:01 CEST 2007

Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 à 22:15 +0200, Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> >> Start with WebStyle>>pageFrameWith:title:
> >>
> >> The WebStyle catches the doesNotUnderstand from WebApplication when your viewMain method sends self pageFrameWith:title:
> >
> > Thanks a lot Dirk, now it's clearer to me :)
> > I think the main issue here is that I'm still thinking the Seaside
> > way...
>
> Well, this redirection is strange on first sight for every Smalltalker
> too, but with a bit of explanation you can understand the reason behind:
>   a support for another separation between content and style - between
> HTML and CSS. CSS support (and style support in general, like "framing"
> of page with above mentioned method) is therefore delegated to WebStyle
> and its subclasses.

So, what is the best way to style a site ? Subclassing WebStyle, and
surcharging #pageFrameWith:title: and some other methods, or create a
new class from scratch (since WebStyle directly inherit from Object, and
this class has a lot of methods I may not want) ?

> Another neat feature is that you can change styles on runtime, simply by
> changing style in AIDASite.
>
> Third reason: that way you can host a same application to many customers
> at once, with different style for each. That way you can simply
> customize you app to customer wishes, but still run all of them from the
> same image.
>
> But WebStyle don't hold only CSS, but also images and JS code. Images
> are stored in methods (so called method images).
Is there a simple way to upload images into method images ?
>  The same goes with
> JavaScript code. This is similar to WAFileLibrary in Seaside.
>
> And I'm extending WebStyle to support Joomla templates ...
Very good :) !

Cheers

Nicolas

> Best regards